Friday, February 18, 2011

Cookies Without Butter

A few months ago, we found out that one of our children is allergic to a ton of things. Nuts, of course. Dairy also. When I heard the dairy/lactose bit, my mind went racing for days. Do you realize how dairy is in nearly everything? I never realized how much butter I used! And cheese! I don't think there was a meal or snack without it. Oh, cheese. I'm still in remorse over the cheese ban...

Most processed/packaged foods are out, but that was no biggie because we never really had much of them around anyway. But, my kids love their homemade cookies. We went a few months before I got brave enough to experiment. Or maybe desperate enough to experiment.We finally tackled an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that really is a winner. My allergic child was over-the-moon excited.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Set your oven to 400

Combine:
6 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
6 TBSP canola oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

To that, add:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
3/4 cups white flour
2 TBSP ground flax seeds
2 1/2 cups instant oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips OR raisins (if you have allergy issues, look for semisweet chocolate chips without milk or lactose added)

Bake about 9 minutes. They will not brown the way a cookie does with butter in it, so be careful to not overbake.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Your cookies look like they came out great. Those substitutions worked out fine. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

Camille said...

I love sweets w/ applesauce as the substitute for oil or butter...it works so well for sweet breads like banana, zucchini, etc...can't even tell the diff.

megadog said...

Sounds tasty. I've never tried cookies with applesauce. I've used it in other recipes, glad that it works okay. They look really yummy too.

jodi said...

I think they look great. I'm still mourning the nummies. Poor kid.